The Oak Hill Parkway Project is anticipated to break ground in 2021, bringing an end to a decades-long journey to bring congestion relief to southwest Travis County.
It won’t be long before construction begins at US 290 and SH 71 in southwest Austin. This intersection has long been identified as a heavily congested area in need of solutions and is listed in the Top 100 Most Congested Roadways in Texas (Texas A&M Transportation Institute, 2020). TxDOT will soon transform the intersection into the Oak Hill Parkway.
In December 2018, the Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the Oak Hill Parkway Project was approved by the TxDOT Environmental Affairs Division. Since then, the TxDOT Austin District has been diligently working to break ground.
Multiple milestones have been achieved:
- The Texas Transportation Commission approved funding for construction – Oak Hill Parkway is now FULLY funded!
- TxDOT selected a general engineering consultant to help us oversee the construction phases and public outreach program.
- Two environmental re-evaluations were initiated and approved to update the approved schematic due to minor design and right of way (ROW) changes. These changes were needed to accommodate utility relocations, water quality features, drainage design changes, and schematic refinements. Upon review, it was determined no substantial changes occurred and therefore, the original environmental decision was upheld.
- The Texas Transportation Commission approved a conditional award for a Design-Build contract to construct the Oak Hill Parkway Project. The selected Design-Build contractor, Colorado River Constructors (CRC), is a joint venture comprised of two experienced design-build firms: Fluor Enterprises, Inc. and Balfour Beatty Infrastructure, Inc. Their lead engineering firm is AECOM Technical Services, Inc., with Raba Kistner performing quality assurance.
- On August 10, 2020, TxDOT authorized CRC to begin their design-build contract.
What's coming next?
- Minor activities are occurring adjacent to the Oak Hill Parkway corridor in advance of the official project groundbreaking in mid-2021.
- CRC is currently working on taking the approved schematic (preliminary roadway design) across the finish line into constructible final design plans.
- Construction is expected to begin in 2021 and last for approximately 5 years.
Questions? Contact us!